Skip to main content

Road to recovery (For the Umpteenth Times!)

I typed these few weeks ago and just left it in my draft for my eyes to see. But decided maybe it's a good thing to put it out there in the world wide web. Maybe keeping so many things inside is not always a good thing. I thought I would've felt better by now. But no. So here's my story. Well, a fraction of it. 
----------

Blame it on sleep deprivation, Im bawling reading the NZ Herald about a kid who died of sepsis. Im such an emotional wreck today eeekkk.

Sepsis was brutal, and mine escalated to septic shock - the last stage of sepsis. Im lucky to have came out of it alive with no permanent organ damage. Still feel surreal. Still trying hard to cope. Those nights in ICU were hard. Like, REALLY hard. The sound of the machines beeping and those IV noises are still embedded so clearly in my head. The bruises on my arms and legs (yes, legs! As most of the veins in my arms collapsed) from the canulas are still here as a reminder. Though I dont remember most of what happened on that fateful Thursday, I remember the pain vividly. Every fiber, every muscle hurt like hell. Rigors were uncontrolable. My body temp shot up to more than 42°c, yet I felt so cold. 

Days of recovery are long. I lost my independence, Im not even allowed to drive! Feels like I lost myself. Nothing is normal. For the first time in my life, I hate what I see in the mirror. I lost so much weight. Night times are the worst.....  Told Abo and Fee that Im lucky if I get 2 hours sleep each day. Everytime I close my eyes, I go straight back to those moments. Nightmares have been constant, Im too scared to sleep most days. I can still smell the antibiotics in my dreams, I can feel the pain, I remember the warmth of the blood oozing from my PICC line, I can still taste the nasty phospate in my tongue. . Dear Lord, will I ever sleep peacefully again??

That overwhelming anxiety and fear that I'll be sick again.... I dont think anyone will get it. Nobody in my circle will understand the depth and the severity of what Im feeling. It takes someone who has been ill over and over again (or one with chronic illness) to understand this fear. 

It comes with any possible sign of sickness or infection. It's that few moments before you go to sleep that you wonder what the next 24 hours will hold. Will there be another strain of pathogenic bacteria in your bloodstream? Will you have septic shock again? Will there be another stay in ICU?

Will you be fighting..... for your life?

Or will it be simply nothing but an over reaction to a slightly upset tummy or sore arm?

The thing is... Im terrified of having no control of my body no matter how hard I try. No matter how carefull I am, it will still do what it wants. Same goes for the nightmares.

Sepsis had tried to take me 3 times in the last 8 months. So why not just get it done and over with sekalian? :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List

Yep. Been hearing a lot about people dropped dead suddenly. Mulai dari si Adjie Masaid, babenya si Joshua, then just now Emma's friend juga Dadaism died of heart attack. She was 29 years old, just got ,arrayed last October. Life is so fragile. That's why I really hate Andi each time I have to remind him over and over again about healthy lifestyle. Anyway, decided to make a bucket list for myself. 1. Back to NZ 2. Sky dive 3. Vacation to Russia 4. Having more than enough funds for Onya to pursue her degree in England, Oxford University preferably :) 5. Ngeliat Andi punya bodi keren 6. Buying a house for my parents 7. Karet tengsin dijual Hmmm....... Belon kepikiran yg lawn. Nanti di update lg deh

Lavender and Butterfly

My very first (and probably my last) tattoo. Why lavender ?  Because I love the smell.  I love the colour.  Lavender is pretty much the only plant that stays alive in my garden. It thrives in pretty much any weather with very little care. It lives with a big bunch of other lavenders but it can also lives on its own little bundle. It shows strength, and grace. Butterfly means beauty. Not just superficial beauty... but beauty after a storm. Beauty that was earned.  Like, after it went through struggles from a cocoon. Plus, you see butterfly (normally) in a great weather. Adds the beauty to the surroundings, like a balance in the universe.  Psalm 23:6 , is what I really resonate in my life.  That no matter what, no matter where, no matter how many bad decisions I’ve made.... God’s goodness and mercy is always with me. That I’m okay. That the God who made the universe loves me still.  That regardless how fucked up I am, His goodness and mercy is always wi...

A Wife's Heart

Postingan kali ini buat Andi. Feel so blessed beyond words punya suami kaya beliau. Walo banyak rese n nyebelinnya juga. He works really hard. I mean REALLY hard. I know I've complained about him being too busy, but lately he changed. Yes, dia masih sibuk banget di kantor. Yes, dia masih suka 'nyetrap' gw di mobil suru tunggu. Tapi I know that family is his top priority. The house is almost done. Andi spent hours last Sat and Sun buat bebersih rumah. Gw ga boleh ikut. "masih debuan banget" - gitu katanya. He knows Im allergic to dust and frankly, what can a pregnant woman possibly do? Ga mungkin juga kan gw ngangkat2 furniture. Naek tangga aja suka engap. Dapet laporan dari Otoy, Andi ngangkat2 barang ampe mukanya merah, ampe kringetan ngeces2... Gw tau dia pasti cape banget. Tapi begitu pulang he brought nothing but his big, warm smile. "Udah. Nanti gw sekali lagi kesana, finalize bersih2 - then you can come. Tuh gw beliin kelapa, mau diminum sekarang ga?...